Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday - Its a Guy Thing

Well, today is Sunday and the Broncos are playing at home. As a season ticket holder I'll be heading to the game shortly. Unfortunately I spent all day yesterday away from Jenn, up in the Mountains getting firewood. So that means a whole weekend will go by without much "together" time.

Since moving into our dream home it seems our together time has decreased somewhat. The house was a bank-owned property which means there's a lot of work to be done and we're quickly running out of time to do it before the snow starts to fly. Add to that a longer commute and you end up with less time to spend with each other. And what time you do have is spent working - not the ideal for a newlywed couple

Now, Jenn would have every right to ask me not to go to the game, but she doesn't because she understands how important it is to me that I go


Well, ok, maybe she pouts just a little!

But I grew up going to Broncos games with my Dad, so it is somewhat of a tradition for me.

In fact, Jenn has tried hard to keep me involved in activities that I have a passion for.

I'm the type of person who readily sacrifices things to either avoid conflict, hurt feelings or make the other person happy so it is easy for me to put my life on hold while I become engrossed in someone else's.


But, we understand that we fell in love with the two individuals that we are and to keep that, we must each keep a portion of our lives from before we met.

To stay in love for the long term, you've just got to encourage each other to do what you love, even if it sometimes means being apart.

Jenn does just that. She encourages me to do all the things I love. Not just the Broncos games but also cycling, skiing and playing the drums. And I encourage her to do the same.

I'm grateful to have such an understanding and loving wife who values me as I am. I am indeed the luckiest man in the whole world!

What activity do you love that your partner encourages you to do, even if they don't want to do it with you?


Please share.

No comments: