Thursday, August 6, 2009

Love as Sweet as a Big, Fat Summer Blueberry


I’m spooning big, fat blueberries into my mouth when Greg asks, “How are your blueberries?”


Thinking that’s a slightly odd question, I reply, “Good, thanks.”


“I’m glad you like them. I gave you all the biggest blueberries because I know how much you hate those tiny, sour ones!,” Greg says, looking at me with his own spoon filled with smaller, tarter berries.


My heart totally melts.


“You did that just for me?!,” I say with a big smile, as I feel my love for him grow 3 sizes bigger in my heart.


“Why, yes, I can’t have you sitting there with that puckered up face that makes wrinkles in the back of your head!,” Greg laughs.


Indeed, it’s true. I HATE sour berries. Sour anything really. And that Bitter Berry Face definitely doesn't make me look any prettier.


But seriously, what kind of man takes the time to lovingly select only berries that will make his partner happy!?


How thoughtful, sweet, and amazingly loving is that?!


My god, I am so lucky to have a man who loves me that much.


His simple act touches me way deep down in my soul.


I continue to learn that true love is expressed in the little things we consciously choose to do for each other simply because we know it will make our partner’s day a little brighter, their dinner a little sweeter.


And I settle into the knowing that Greg has been given to me as a gift- to teach me exactly what unconditional love looks like, day in and day out.


To prove that I am learning, I save the biggest, fattest blueberry for last, reaching over to pop it into his mouth. We both savor the sweetness of our love, in action.


Readers: What tiny, thoughtful act has touched your relationship lately- making your bond immeasurably sweeter? Please share.

No comments: